May 18, 2009

Mom of the Bride - Ready, Set, Wed!

Mom of the Bride – Ready, Set, Wed!
Amanda Warrington



Ready or not, here we go. I am pretty sure we are ready though. These past few weeks have been filled with finicky little tasks. All those little things that you can’t do in advance. With all of the big ticket items taken care of and nothing big to tackle I have had a lingering feeling that I am forgetting something. To keep myself on track I have gone into hyper-list-making-mode. Even the smallest item “to do” lands on my list – wedding related or not. My lists look something like this:

cat food
guest book
Wylie – hair cut, dress shirt, baseball pants
dry cleaning
buy more Sterilite tubs

Three days in a row I called Albert, my husband, and asked him to be in charge of dinner for those nights. On the fourth night I called and asked him to please just be in charge of dinner for the next two weeks. It was the only way to ensure that the boy gets fed between now and the wedding. Albert graciously accepted the duty and Wylie has eaten quite well – and I don’t mean fast food or carry out, Albert is a great chef. Thanks, Albert!

The final preparations have involved big rubber tubs. I have a few of them staged in the living room and when something we need for the wedding is added to the tub, it is also added to the list taped to the lid of that tub. I don’t trust myself to remember for two weeks whether I put the place card holders in the blue tub or the gray tub – the hyper-list-making is mandatory for me to keep organized.

I have gotten lots of phone calls from friends and family thrilled about the nearness of the wedding. We have family and friends coming from all over the country: Southern California, Louisiana, South Carolina, Northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, Maryland, Missouri, Connecticut, Vermont and Pennsylvania. And of course, even for our “local” guests, it means a trip to North Carolina. I can’t begin to express how much it means to me that so many people are able to join us at the beach and share in Mike and Tiffany’s day.

We are as ready as we can be. And if something catches us off guard, we will take it in stride and keep on smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment